Mapping UK Schools in OSM
Mapping Progress and Data Comparison Reports
- Mapping Progress
- Comparison maps showing mapping progress and possible errors by postal area. Only a very rough beta tool at the moment, and only covers schools in England.
- OSM Tag Keys Report
- List of all keys used on UK amenity=school and amenity=college ways and relations in OSM, ordered by number of occurrences. There are also indivual lists of objects with fixme and note tags.
- Matching Queries
- Report showing possible errors in the matching of OSM objects to UK schools using the ref:* key.
- Official Data Queries
- Report showing possible errors and omissions in the official government data for UK schools.
Overpass Turbo Queries
- Schools as Nodes
- An Overpass Turbo script to find nodes tagged with amenity=school or amenity=college. In many cases, these would be better converted to areas surrounding the whole of the school site.
- Schools as Buildings
- An Overpass Turbo script to find ways with amenity=school and building=*. In many cases, the amenity=school tag would be better moved to a polygon bounding the entire school site, rather than on any individual buildings.
- Schools without Names
- An Overpass Turbo script to find ways and relations with amenity=school but no name=* tag.
Tagging Guidence and Resources
- OSM Wiki: amenity=school
- Tagging advice and guidlines from the OSM Wiki.
- How to Map a School in OpenStreetMap
- Introductory tutorial by RobJN on the Mappa Mercia blog.
Notes on the data sources and matching algorithm uses in my tools above:
- OSM data for ways and relations tagged with amenity=school or amenity=college last updated 2017‑03‑28. Data © OSM Contributors, ODbL.
- Schools data for England and Wales obtained from DfE Edubase. Schools data for Scotland obtained from Scottish Government Education Statistics. Schools data for Northern Ireland obtained from DENI Schools Plus. These three datasets are probably Crown © and available for re-use under the OGL — according to the general website copyright notices. But none of the sites is explicit about the licence that applies to the specific datasets. There is a possiblity of third-party rights in some of the data that would not be covered by the OGL. The DfE have confirmed Edubase can be used under the OGL.
- Schools in OSM are matched to the official data first by looking for a matching reference number (ref:edubase for Edubase, ref:seedcode for Scotland, and ref:deniirn for Northern Ireland). Then each unmatched OSM school is matched to the nearest unmatched official list location within 1km, with exact matches for postcodes and names being given priority. This still isn't optimal, and can result in various incorrect matches. Adding the ID numbers to the OSM data should fix things after the next import though.