Post Hoc — Analysing OSM Postbox and Post Office Data in the UK
OpenStreetMap records the location of postboxes and Post Offices using the tags amenity=post_box and amenity=post_office respectively. The Post Hoc tool provides statistics, reports and maps to compare the data in OpenStreetMap with data from Royal Mail and from Matthew Somerville's former 'Locating Postboxes' webapp. The Royal Mail data comes from FOIA request and from the list of Post Office locations compiled by Edward Betts from Royal Mail's Post Office Branch Finder. For further information, please see the Technical Details page.
Postbox Summary Statistics
|Source ||Postboxes ||Percent ||Last Updated|
|Royal Mail list ||115485 || ||2013-11-11 00:00 UTC|
|OSM ||45501 ||39.4% ||2014-03-04 00:00 UTC|
|OSM (with matching refs) ||28061 ||24.3% ||2014-03-04 00:00 UTC|
|Dracos ||57427 ||49.7% ||2014-03-04 10:34 UTC|
Post Office Summary Statistics
|Source ||Post Offices ||Percent ||Last Updated|
|Royal Mail List ||10989 || ||1970-01-01 00:00 UTC|
|OpenStreetMap ||7903 ||71.9% ||2014-02-27 00:00 UTC|
|OpenStreetMap (matched) ||6758 ||61.5% ||2014-02-27 00:00 UTC|
General Postbox Reports
- OSM Reference Issues
- Results of various checks on the values in 'ref' fields of post box nodes on OpenStreetMap.
- OSM Collection Times Issues
- Postboxes with possible errors in the collection_times key.
- OSM Royal Cypher Issues
- Postboxes with possible errors in the royal_cypher key.
- OSM Box Type Report
- Report on usage of tags to describe box types.
- OSM Operator Report
- Report on usage of tags to describe the operator of the box.
- OSM Tag Keys Report
- List of all keys used on post box nodes, with their frequencies.
- OSM Tag Lists
- Various reports listing postboxes with specific tags defined:
- Too Far Apart
- List of box references found in both OSM and Dracos data,
with positions that differ by a significant amount.
Local maps showing potential issues to survey
Generate a map showing possible issues with OSM postbox or
post office data in a limited area. The area will be centred on the
postcode entered, but may cover more or less than that postcode
region. The data is fixed from the initial postcode, and so won't be
reloaded as you move around the map, but if you click the
'permalink' the refreshed map will show data centred on the current
location. Once on the map, you can also obtain a GPX file of the
postbox issues for download, which may be useful to those wanting to
survey the problems.
New: OSM Progress by Postcode area
Top postal districts and users by updates to post box nodes in last 7 days.
Top postal districts and users by updates to post box nodes in last 28 days.